Thursday, August 3, 2023

Heading to Germany July 21-22

 On our first weekend trip of the summer, we went to Koblenz in Germany. My dad rented a car so we could drive to Germany instead of taking a train or a bus. 

On the way to Germany, we stopped at the Groesbeek War Memorial to have lunch and look around. This is a cemetery just for Canadians who died fighting Germany in WWII. There were a LOT of graves and most of the soldiers who died were not very old. It was pretty sad. I usually don't like going to graveyards because I don't like the feeling of walking on dead bodies, it gives me the shivers. But I think it was important to see. 

When we got to Koblenz, we went straight to the Air BnB. I was surprised by all of the hills in the town because in Amsterdam and in Holland there are very few hills. There were also so many multicoloured houses! There was pink and yellow and blue and black. 

The house that we stayed in was yellow and we got the top floor because the buildings in Koblenz were very tall. I liked having the top floor because we could see all over the place and we even had a rooftop porch to sit on and look over the city! 

We went out for a late dinner at a beer hall. We had to walk to the beer hall, but it wasn't that bad because I had a LOT of energy from sitting in the car for 5 hours. For dinner, I had chicken nuggets and fries and an Afri-cola! My chicky nuggies were super super super super good!!  

On Saturday, we visited THREE castles in the area. But you'll have to wait for my next blog post to read about them!

Walking to the monument 


Big monument

I like this wreath, I think it's cool that Germany now sends wreaths to the Canadian soldiers, too, even though they were fighting against each other.

Describing what the Groesbeek war memorial is

This is a good view of the graves in this one.

This is also a good view.
The war memorial is from all the Canadians that died while fighting against Germany.

It's nice that the Germans are remembering as well.

Most of the people that died were usually from the age of 18-37.

The Dutch people are very thankful to the Canadians.

We arrived in Koblenz!

The veiw from our AirBNB 

Reading next to the window.

On our way into Germany we saw a molen!

We got to go out for dinner on our first night in Koblenz.

We went to a German beer hall and I got my first German Chicken Nuggets!! They were so good!

This is the outside of the beer hall.

Saturday morning porch time!

2 comments:

  1. Tante Sarah: Such great experiences and what an adventure! I'm glad you were able to visit the cemetery, it's so meaningful to actually be there.
    Good food! Good pictures! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

July 29: Visiting my Great Grandpa's Farm

 We took Grandma with us to Gasselternijveenschemond. That is a very big name for a reallllly small town. We came here because Grandma wante...